> can someone please answer on my easy newbie question?
> can I run Django-based site on host provider that supports Python but
> has NO django installed??

This sounded kinda zen when I first heard it...running Django
apps on a host without Django, sound of one hand clapping, and
all that.

The important factors are the webserver interface (mod_python or
fastcgi) and that python is available.  If your server meets
these criteria, you can install django as it's only a bunch of
python code that can be unzipped/untarred/"svn co"'ed in the
directory of your choice.

There are other aspects such as required libraries (a python
interface to your DB engine of choice/availability), but
otherwise, there's minimal fuss.

A list of known Django-friendly webhosts is maintained at

http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/DjangoFriendlyWebHosts

If you find one that isn't on the list that ends up working for
you, it would be a service to add it to the wiki.

-tim