I'm a bit plagued by slow running tests as well, but i'm using an
acceptable workaround (for my uses). This workaround assumes that you
run your tests per app and that you only need to test a newly created
test case.

The idea is to use your keyboard interrupt to stop the test suite
after your newly created test case fails (or succeeds). However, using
your keyboard interrupt will produce the stack trace of the test
suite, not the current test it is working on. A small change to your
test class can change this though. I've added this to
djangosnippets.org, but it seems to be down at the moment. Add this
method to your unit test class:

def __call__(self, result=None):
    try:
      super(YourTestClass, self).__call__(result)
    except KeyboardInterrupt:
      result.stop()

Test cases are run alphabetically, so to have a newly created test
case run first, just make it come first alphabetically.
Django uses the 'cmp' function internally. Personally i'm using a
naming scheme like test_99_foo, test_98_foo2, ...

Ofcourse, as i said, this workaround is no use if you need to run
every test case every time you run your tests.

regards,
Simon