On Jul 20, 10:50 pm, walterbyrd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I know that PostgreSQL is recommended, but why? Are the django
> developers assuming a high-traffic, database intensive site. Are the
> django developers assuming that you will not be using shared hosting?

> I seems to me, that if you are using shared hosting, and if your
database needs are modest, Sqlite3 might be the best choice.

Most shared hosting providers provide support for postgresql also (I
can quote the case of webfaction here). Postgresql is an ACID
compliant database server and has a lot of features that databases
like MySQL do not support like check constraints. If you plan to have
a moderate traffic website (with less than 1000 hits per day) I would
recommend SQLite (which too is ACID compliant). The primary reason
most Django developers prefer Postgresql is that it scales very well.
The only reason to go for MySQL should be if you have no alternative.
MySQL may be very easy to setup and administer but it isn't ACID
compliant.

Cheers
Thejaswi Puthraya