Are you talking about the Authentication message system found here?
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/authentication/#messages

One of the features of flash messages in other frameworks I've used ..
is that as soon as the message gets rendered it is deleted from the
session. It's been displayed .. there is no need for it anymore. That
is the concept that my Flash Message implementation revolved around.
Also I added the ability to render a template which displays a flash
message. This I really like because sometimes my flashes get crazy
with Javascript and animation and such. It's nice to be able to put
that all in a separate file. Lastly, sometimes I want to pass more
than one little string. So in my implementation I added the params
option which allows you to pass as much data of any type that you
want.

Here is my code.. if you don't want to search for it...
http://www.djangosnippets.org/snippets/319/