On 7/27/07, Duc Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> One facebook in america is enough.  There is plenty of room for
> competition in other countries.

Yes, but a straight-up clone of Facebook isn't the way to do it.

Facebook succeeded because it chose a specific target market and
oriented itself to that target market; in this case, the market was
American college students from (mostly) affluent backgrounds. In other
countries the market will be different, and so simply "cloning"
Facebook likely won't result in a site that's appealing enough to the
target market in that country (if you target students, for example,
you must deal with the fact that the educational system and culture
vary widely from one country to another). You also have to face the
likelihood of competitors -- Orkut in Brazil, for example -- and be
prepared not to say "we're just like that other site", but to say
"here's how we're different from that other site, and why we're
better".