I'd like to create a couple of views that would allow users to retrieve
their forgotten username or password by email.

It seems to me that the only reliable way to do this would be for my
application to require unique email addresses for User objects. However
email field in django.contrib.auth.models.User is optional.

I'd prefer not to hack the contrib.auth application and change User
model, so perhaps that constraint should be included in my application
code, but I'm not sure what the best way to do it should be.

Any clues?