On 8/8/07, cesco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to retrieve automatically some information from an e-commerce
> site.
> The site doesn't offer any API, so the only way to perform the search
> is via the form they provide. The form is submitted via a POST method
> and the URL doesn't change after clicking the search button even if I
> select different search criteria (which are only checkboxes).
> Do you know of any way to automatically or do you have any suggestion
> on to automatically perform the following?
>
> 1. check a specific checkbox in the search form
> 2. submit the search form
> 3. save in a file the html source of the webpage displaying the search
> results
>
> Any help would be very appreciated.

You can use the httplib.HTTPConnection() to do just that. See here:

http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.3/lib/httplib-examples.html

You should be able to substitute httplib.HTTPSConnection() in place of
httplib.HTTPConnection() if your Python's socket library was compiled
with SSL support.

You might also want to look into pycurl if you want to do more advanced stuff:

http://pycurl.sourceforge.net/

HTH.
--
_nimrod_a_abing_