This may be posted in the wrong place, which if it is then please
accept my apologies.

Tt the moment I'm designing a web application powered by Django using
either apache or litehttpd as the web server and postgres as the
database.  My problem is that the application requires private folders
for all the logged in users to store their content, and hence my
problem.  I know that you can password protect folders using both
apache and litehttpd however their methods don't seem suitable.  I
need to dynamically add users, and to do this I believe that once
you've edited the .conf files you need to restart the server, or have
special security files scattered across your system protecting the
given folders - this seems very messy and unmanageable.  Additionally
I don't see how I can distribute workloads across different servers.
For example, I'd ideally like a server for running the Django project,
and then a separate server hosting the documents; so I could use
apache for the main django project and then litehttpd for handling the
static content.  I'm just not certain how I can stop users from
changing the url in order to gain access to different folder e.g.

myurl.com/user1/docs - user 1 could then change the url to myurl.com/
user2/docs

this would then grant them access to that folder.  if I used the
security file method then how are you supposed to manage a thousand
plus users?

One idea I had was to create a hash based on the user and store that
as the users folder - it'd be pretty hard guessing 15 character
hashes, and then as a second level of security I could re-hash every X
minutes, where X minutes may equal 1 day.  The downside with this is
that the hash would be stored in the address-bar and therefore reveal
other users folders.  The only way to prevent this would be using
https, which ideally I wanted to avoid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.