On 10/08/2007, at 11:41 PM, Andrew wrote:

> I'm so happy that you've taken the initiaive with this. I'm happy to
> help code -- just let me know how.

Would be great to have you on board. To help, I suggest you

a) subscribe to the django-mailer list

        http://groups.google.com/group/django-mailer

b) look at the use cases and initial design thoughts

        http://code.google.com/p/django-mailer/
        http://code.google.com/p/django-mailer/wiki/InitialDesignThoughts

c) checkout the latest code (still in its infancy)

        http://code.google.com/p/django-mailer/source

> One thing to think about: how does the communication between the
> email-
> app and the main app work? On Fluther right now we're running our
> django mailer on a different thread because initiating a connection to
> the SMTP server from a web request takes a LONG time -- it looks like
> the page hangs.

For the reasons you give, it's done asynchronously. The main app just
puts the message on a queue and a separate process picks it up and
sends it.

James