Catriona,

Only AutoFields are auto-incrementing in Django.  If you want to use a
custom primary key that isn't an AutoField, you will need to populate
the primary key yourself (or else create a custom trigger for it),
just as you would for any other column that is both NOT NULL and
UNIQUE.  This is true across all the backends, not just Oracle.

-Ian