I hit reply to author instead of reply.

I think that is definitely the problem.  I assumed that the file data
would be in request.POST.  I will go back and re-read the docs for
newforms since it sounds like there are some API changes.

Thanks to everyone who worked on this ticket, including Malcolm.
Resolving it takes newforms forward a giant step.