Hi Guys,

I hope this is the appropriate venue to send this out to. If not, I
apologize for the spam; it's the only message I will send out.

We're looking for two web developers at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of
Journalism, one who specializes in Django/Python. I've included the job
description in this e-mail, and perhaps people can pass it along to anyone
they know who might be interested in the San Francisco Bay Area.

The description might be a little ambiguous because we were forced
to put both positions -- a web master, and a web application developer --
into one description. We can answer any additional questions about the
position.

Thanks for your time,

Jeremy Rue
Multimedia Training Instructor
Knight Digital Media Center
UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
http://journalism.berkeley.edu
(510)643-1927

The University of California, Berkeley, Graduate School of Journalism is
seeking a Web Developer.

The Web Developer will work on a team managing the technical needs for our
growing suite of websites. These include the School's main public website
and private intranet, as well as sites for various School-related
programs, such as the Knight Digital Media Center, the News Initiative for
the Future of Journalism, the Center for Citizen Media, and China Digital
Times.

The candidate will assist with smaller websites connected to the School's
classes. The team responds to the needs of faculty, staff, and students,
working as necessary with department coordinators, instructors, and the
system administrator. This is primarily a technical, rather than an
editorial or design position. However, editorial and design experience is
advantageous.

The School relies heavily on PHP/MySQL web database applications, both
open source and custom built. The incumbent must have strong PHP/MySQL
development experience, as well as a solid working knowledge of HTML, CSS,
and some JavaScript. One of the projects is built on Python (Django),
therefore Python experience is desired.

The School is solely Macintosh-based and runs its own Apple XServes, so
prospective candidates must be Mac-friendly and Unix-capable. Since we
manage our own web server, candidates with Apache configuration experience
are desired. The School also webcasts a regular schedule of live events so
some familiarity with video compression and media streaming techniques is
preferred.

Responsibilities:
- Manage and upgrade the School's main website and intranet, and assist
with smaller websites connected to the School's classes and other related
programs
- Create secure and stable web applications built on open standards
- Prioritize requests coming from multiple sources and respond to the
needs of faculty, staff, and students
- Work closely with department coordinators, instructors, and the system
administrator
- Assist students with web development questions

The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We offer a diverse working environment, competitive salaries, and
comprehensive benefits.

Experience required:

Requirements:

- Experience with PHP web application development and MySQL database
administration
- Expertise with HTML and CSS
- Experience in working with or building content management systems and/or
customizing WordPress themes or plug-ins, or a similar publishing platform
- Experience with Apple OS; Linux or Windows users who are adaptable and
learn quickly may qualify
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with Unix or Mac OS X server administration

Preferred:
- Experience with Python and streaming media servers
- Proficient graphical web design and writing/editorial skills
- Experience in working with frameworks, such as Rails, Django, or
Symfony, and configuring and managing Apache
- Ability to work with Macromedia Dreamweaver and programming languages,
such as Perl
- Experience in working with journalists or within a news media organization

The annual salary range for this position is $47,844 - $70,000 plus
excellent University of California benefits.

This is a full-time position.

How to apply:

Apply online at: http://jobs.berkeley.edu

Search for job code 7045.