I'm trying to add a login widget to a site that will appear on every
page for an unauthenticated user, much like on slashdot. It seems
pretty straight forward, but I'm getting some really strange behavior
from django.contrib.auth.views.login

My widget consists of a form like this:

<form action="/login/" method="post">
Username:
<input type="text" name="username" size="18"/>
Password:
<input type="password" name="password" size="18"/>
<input type="hidden" name="next" value="/{{ request.path }}"/>
<input type="submit" value="login"/>
</form>

The first time a user logs in, the login fails, and the user is shown
the standard login page with the username and password filled in.
Clicking on login without changing the form values will successfully
log the user in. Also, clicking the back button and re-submitting will
log the user in.

I can't figure out what's going on, the form obviously works in some
circumstances, and the log-in data is also correct.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
  Justin