I m creating new models for a portfolio application. I am creating a
Project class and one of the fieldsof this class will be "type". There
will be four types of Projects: Student, Professional, Competition,
Personal. Each of these types will share most fields but some types
will have addtional fields. At first I thought something like this
would be best...

class Project(models.Model):
        name = models.CharField(max_length=250)
        slug = models.SlugField(prepopulate_from=('name',))
        date = models.DateField()
        description = models.TextField(blank=True)
        disciplines = models.ManyToManyField(Discipline)
        type = models.ForeignKey(Type)
        publish = models.BooleanField("Publish?", default=False)
        images = models.ManytoManyField(imageBank.Image)
        lead_image = models.ForiegnKey(imageBank.Image)

class StudentProject(Project)
        critic = models.CharField(max_length=250)

class ProfessionalProject(Project)
       client = models.ForeignKey(Client)

etc, etc...

However, after looking through some of the posts on this site, it
appears that this will not work yet in Django. As a new user of Django
and Python, I was hoping to get some advice on what the alternative
methods of handling this situation are.

Thanks for your help.

Doug