I've fixed the problem

I had to pull /admin/base.html into my templates folder and add this line to
the head

IE6 browsers that have their default character set set to Latin1 can now add
utf8 characters, they could not before.

This line should be in the base.html within django source code fellas, there
is no earthly reason why not.

IE seems to be not picking up the deafult_charset for the form encoding in
the admin site, this simple line added would mean I can go back to using src
code.

Any chance of putting it in there someone?