I really don't see a need for a huge project to accomplish the goals
you've outlined:

0) Checking in the local source changes if they have not already been
checked in (optional).
1) Logging into the deployment target.
2) Checking out the latest source.
3) Modifying the production database as necessary.
4) Making appropriate changes to settings.py.
5) Running tests
6) Restarting the server
7) Cleaning up and logging out.

We have a little shell script that does most of this stuff just fine,
in about 10 lines.

What makes Capistrano handy is the ability to *transparently* deploy
your application across many different machines, and specify roles for
each machine which respond to different tasks.

I am also *extremely* cautious about having scripts modify a
production database with Django.  AFAIK, there is currently no
standard way of keeping track of schema changes in Django.  (This is
more feasible in Rails because of migrations).  Furthermore, one of
the killer features of Capistrano is the ability to completely
rollback your entire application to a previous point in time (db
schema, data and code base) -- but without a standard schema-evolution
tool in Django, how will Djangostrano be able to track & version
changes?

I would love to see a tool that makes the HARD deployment tasks easy.
I suppose what you've outlined is a start, but maybe we'd be better
off to work towards a set of individual tools that can be integrated
right into django (like schema evolution/versioning, etc) prior to
trying to automate these tasks.