Thanks for the speedy reply and your diagnosis was absolutely spot on.
Purely as an aside and because there may be others in my situation,
the cause of the error was a confusion between thinking in django
terms (where a foreign key is actually a python object) and in sql
terms where a foreign key is a number (often). Often, because old
habits die hard, when django wants a python object I go to great and
pointless lengths to get hold of the corresponding number and then get
an error.