I find I can use django users and groups to authorize apache locations and
directories using a modified version of modpython.py(I just hacked it to check
for required groups).

I have some difficulties with this simple scheme.

First off it seems to be completely separate from the normal django behaviour.
Is there a way to get existing django tokens to be used? So if I have already
logged in or possess a django token can I use that token to provide access to
an
apache controlled area?

Secondly the apache validation examples all seem to use mod_python as the
transport between apache and django. We are tending to use fastcgi (via flup
and
runfcgi) as it gives us greater flexibility; we can use an entirely separate
process for the python (perhaps even a different python). Is there a way to use
a fastcgi based validation?

Finally, my boss wants to use a single auth database. I'm not sure that's
feasible, but it seems reasonable to have a central controlled database app
which only does user/groups. I think this is less desirable because of the
possibility of permission leakage. I can imagine exporting changes into some
other project's db so this doesn't seem impossible.
--
Robin Becker