Without knowing a hell of a lot more of the details of you site, what
you're trying to do, etc - nobody can reasonably answer this question.
The ORM is fine, but if it's not as fast as you need for certain
queries, you can always drop back to RAW sql to see if that will give
you speed. At the level of activity you're citing, you'll have to make
some serious choices between how personalized you'd like the site and
how much resource you can throw at the problem.

Between caching, profiling, and having a good sense of what your
current hardware can run to, you can scale out Django horizontally to
achieve the scale you need.

-joe