Hi,

> > Is there a way to switch django's relationship building from INNER
> > JOIN to LEFT OUTER JOIN ?
> > It causes unexpected behaviour when filtering on both parent and child
> > tables.
>
> Not really. There is a limited ability to control the join behaviour
> with Q objects, but this isn't documented, and isn't particularly
> robust.

OK. That's bad news, and keep up for the queryset refactor ;o)

For those interested, here is how I'll fix my problem.

class Book(Model)
  title = CharField()
  collection = ForeignKey(Collection)
 def quicksearch(self):
      """returns a list of fields I want to lookup.
          Instead of relying on joins, i'll filter on
          search term in quicksearch."""
          output = []
          for x in (self.title, getattr(self.collection, 'title',
None), etc.... ):
              output.append(x)
        return output