Sure, we can do this, but this doesn't provide a nice
application-level way of adding this to the admin listing.

At the company I work for, we have over 100 websites we deploy for
(and we are just starting to transition to Django).  We deploy each
application individually depending on a client's need... X client may
need a survey tool, a news tool, and so on.  We install them as they
purchase them from us.  We have a very automated way of deploying
things, and to have to add this functionality to the admin's index
template for each application every time we deploy the application is
going to become a nightmare.

I'm actually working on a ticket related to the newforms admin, though
I've only made a small amount of progress so far (this has been the
week from hell at work):
http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/2292

And yes, it's pretty obvious from the work I've done so far that there
doesn't seem to be a nice way to do this that's built in.  I was
hoping there was some other clean workaround, but I guess that's a bit
silly.

Maybe my work on the current ticket will give me enough experience so
that I can suggest a nice, official way to get admin actions (that
aren't just adding, updating, or deleting data in a model) listed in
the admin interface.  It's definetly going to be a critical need for
our company.