Graham Dumpleton wrote:

>> I for one am not sure; are we saying that even if I'm using flup / fastcgi as
>> the transport I'm not able to use that for authorization?
>
> That depends on whether flup supports the backend side of the FASTCGI
> specifications authentication/authorisation mechanism. Ie., as setup
> using the mod_fastcgi directives.
>
> # FastCgiAuthenticator
> # FastCgiAuthenticatorAuthoritative
> # FastCgiAuthorizer
> # FastCgiAuthorizerAuthoritative
>
> I don't know what flup does, so you need to look at the flup source
> code or any documentation for flup to work it out.

I'll need to take a look to see what it really supports.

>> The real problem for me is deployment. We have multiple apps on the same
>> machine. We have tried the multiple apache solution (ie a toplevel
>> distributor
>> with a secondary for the app) and found it wanting. Our preferred solution is
>> fcgi as that allows us fully decoupled processes. Putting the authorization
>> into
>> mod_python seems to allow the possibility of cross talk even if we use
>> separate
>> interpreters.
>
> How do you think you can have 'cross talk'? There are issues with
> running distinct users applications embedded within Apache using
> mod_python, but if they are your own applications it shouldn't be an
> issue as you wouldn't be deliberately trying to sabotage your own
> stuff.
although these are applications written by us they are often for different
clients with possibly stringent security requirements. For the biggest clients
we just give them a box of their own, for the snaller ones they get a shared
app
with a virtual host address. Having a common front end is a problem, as if
something goes badly awry then possibly client a sees something client b has
entered etc etc. The mod_python commonality is just another problem for
security
auditors.
--
Robin Becker