I created a custom inclusion tag that makes use of a template file
named menu_tag.html.  I placed that file in the app's subdirectory of
the template directory.

When I tried to make use of it I got a template does not exist
error.

I was able to resolve this by adding the app's subdirectory to the
TEMPLATE_DIRS path.

However, it was my understanding that as long as
django.template.loaders.app_directories.load_template_source was
included in the TEMPLATE_LOADERS (which it is), Django would
automatically look in the subdirectories of the installed apps.  This
functionality seems to be working for other template files, just not
the ones from my custom tag.

Is it possible that this is because I placed the custom tag in the
base.html that was in the root template directory rather that used in
one of the app's template files?

Any clarification would be great.

Thanks,

Steve