Hi,

I want to distinguish requests from people that have never had an
account from folks that just have an expired session.

The difference is important in saying "sign in again" vs. "here is
what we do, go here to sign up".

A wrinkle in this is the test cookie setup where you write a cookie to
test if they have cookies turned on.

The current test I was doing to see if the user had an account before
was:
def hasSession(request):
    return request.META.has_key("HTTP_COOKIE")

But this will return true if you've seen the site before, and the test
cookie was set and not deleted.

I know there is a hygene issue around deleting test cookies. How does
that relate to authenticating a user? If you login a user then delete
the test cookie (or vice verse), what happens?

Is there a way to test if the cookie is a test cookie?
Is is somewhere in the session, and is it additive? Like "test cookie
worked" + "authenticated user X" are both stored in the session?

Thanks,
Ivan