In addition, I think if you duplicate the existing auth app under
another name, you're not going to be able to use the django.contrib
applications, since lots of those (like admin) count on being able to
do database joins between their table and the existing auth app's
model objects.

In other words, if you're trying to use session, admin, and so forth,
tweaking the existing auth app might work, but I don't think
duplicating it will work.

Not an expert but just spent some time working through this stuff,

Leo