On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 15:47 -0700, rpuchadm wrote:
> doesn't work if I leave it blank as DATABASE_HOST =''
> if I use DATABASE_HOST ='localhost'
> works properly
>
> I think "DATABASE_HOST - The host your database is on. Leave this as
> an empty string if your database server is on the same physical
> machine (not used for SQLite)."
> in http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/tutorial01/ is not true
> because in postgres
>
> I'm using ubuntu feisty with its apt installed django mod_python
> postgres and psycopg

This isn't a bug. It's just a matter of configuring postgres to allow
connections via the 'local' connection (by default, it uses only 'host'
connections, which requires specifying a hostname).

We can't cover all the subtlties of postgreSQL configuration in the
Django manual. So have a read of the postgreSQL documentation for how to
change this.

Essentially, if you can run "psql foo" where "foo" is an existing
database on your local machine, you're all set. If you have do "psql -h
localhost foo", then you need to also specify DATABASE_HOST.

Regards,
Malcolm