On 10/6/07, James Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > By the way, it would be nice to have a small (sub)chapter in the docs
> > that mentions all the things someone has to care of when exposing the
> > Django templates to arbitrary users.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't ever open up the template language to arbitrary
> users. It's asking for trouble.

I've considered it, and I've only found one way that seemed suitably
safe to me: writing a custom template parser. I was looking to allow
users to submit theme templates, and have their designs take effect
when they're logged in.Since doing so would only need the "extends"
and "block" tags, I wrote a custom parser that only included those
tags, so if they used anything else, it would raise an error before
allowing them to be saved.

It's really not a terribly complicated approach, but it does require
that you limit what you intend to allow. If it's more of "everything
but these few special cases", it'd probably be murder to get it
working securely.

-Gul