Doesn't it work even after restarting the server (not the webserver, the
real server)? It should work fine after that, unless you've got something
running at startup.
To kill it with -9 you will have to list all running manage.py processes
(for instance: ps aux | grep -i manage).
Then you'll have to select the pid for the right manage.py process (python
manage.py runserver... etc) and do "kill -9 pid".

This is how to kill the process on linux/BSD systems and probably some other
systems too.

Good luck,
Kristinn.