Hi Graham,

> You should not need to set PYTHONHOME and doing so could cause a lot
> of problems because if you now run /usr/bin/python2.3 directly or
> indirectly, it will pick up the wrong installed version of Python
> modules.

OK, I'll remove it. But why should I want to run Python 2.3? As I have
both
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin and /usr/
local/bin/ before /usr/bin in my $PATH any python call would pick up
my new 2.5 version.

> I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of your problems with stuff being
> installed into wrong place before was because you were setting
> PYTHONHOME to one version and then running different version of
> Python.

But I was careful to change that setting in .profile and restart the
terminal session each time I did a try on a new version.

> In short, do not set PYTHONHOME.

So, why is it there, then? Do you know where I can find any good
documentation on it?

> Also, what documentation did you read that said to set PYTHONHOME in
> the first place. There are only exceptional conditions where you would
> want to do this and then only when you fully understand what setting
> it does.

When I had problems with the different versions and paths of python,
starting the interpreter gave me an error message that it couldn't
load its modules, and suggested me to set the PYTHONHOME ("consider
setting PYTHONHOME"), and so I did, and that fixed the problem at that
time. Now I don't have this problem anymore, so it works fine without
PYTHONHOME.

// Ulf