I had everything (Apache, mysql, mod_python etc) installed through
macports but was still using Python from the built-in framework. That
was giving me trouble, so I tried to switch over to using the
macports Python installation, which came down as a dependency for
Apache/mod_python.

Needless to say, now neither works. When I start apache and try to
start my django project, I get a mod_python error. There's a long
traceback, and halfway through the traceback the Python calls go from
the opt/local installation (macports) back to the original Library/
Frameworks installation. Here's where it crosses over:

File "/opt/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/core/handlers/
modpython.py", line 151, in __call__
     self.load_middleware()

File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/
site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py", line 22, in load_middleware

The offending self.load_middleware(), on line 151, comes shortly
after a os.environ.update(req.subprocess_env) call, and I suspect
that that's somehow resetting the path to the old Python
installation. I don't want to start poking things randomly, does this
ring a bell for anyone?

Hopefully,
Eric