On 10/27/07, James Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 10/27/07, Greg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have some links on my site.  I don't want to wrap these links around
> > a form element.  Is there anyway that I can send post data without
> > using a form?
>
> You need to start by reading this:
>
> http://faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2616.html

Yes, though it's a bit of a long dry read.  My concern with what you (Greg)
have described so far as wanting to do is summed up by this paragraph from
that rfc:

   In particular, the convention has been established that the GET and
   HEAD methods SHOULD NOT have the significance of taking an action
   other than retrieval. These methods ought to be considered "safe".
   This allows user agents to represent other methods, such as POST, PUT
   and DELETE, in a special way, so that the user is made aware of the
   fact that a possibly unsafe action is being requested.

You're essentially pulling a fast one on your users if you turn their
innocent clicking on a link into something that does some kind of POST
processing.  But, what exactly is the function searchresult doing?  From its
name it sounds more like a data search/retrieval.  Is that the case?  If so,
why is it expecting POST requests?

Karen