On 11/2/07, rm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OK, so my expectations were unreasonable.  (Too bad because it would
> seem to be a very user friendly and elegant way of limiting choices in
> forms.)  So, what do you suggest as the reasonable method to limit
> choices on a form_from_instance or form_from_model?  Maybe I
> misunderstood the part of the documentation that discourages one from
> using the information on this page and encourages one to use the
> newforms documentation:
>
> http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/forms/
>
> The thing is that in the newforms documentation no way of
> accomplishing what I am after is given.

Actually I don't think your expectations were unreasonable, I think they
were natural given the unfortunately tight coupling between this admin
option and model definition, plus the fact that the option has nothing in
its name to indicate it is admin-specific.

As for how to do it in general, sorry I can't help there (though I got the
impression you had found a way to do it?).  My own app has no need of forms,
so it is an area I know very little about.

I don't think you misunderstood the documentation either.  Building stuff
with oldforms is discouraged, since they are going away.  But newfoms is
still work-in-progress, so doc is not complete and some things may not be
entirely worked out.  Such is the way with volunteer projects.

Karen