hi baxter -

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 10:35 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> OK, I attempted to install patch 2070, and failed miserably, messing
> up /core/handlers/modpython.py among other things. When I realized I
> had done so, I tried updating and then reinstalling django to get back
> to a clean install. Now everything is broken. Most of the broken seems
> to relate to template tags and filters.

these issues sound like unicode and templatetag addressing changes
documented here
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/BackwardsIncompatibleChanges

(see 5609 and 6289).

> And then there's thumbnails, which insists TypeError: make_thumbnail()
> keywords must be strings, but I'm passing it as a string, exactly as I
> always have.

the version of this library you have may not be compatible with new
unicode stuff in django.  this might help:
http://groups.google.com/group/nesh-django-utils/browse_thread/thread/42d4db5985e5b8f

best
jake