James Bennett wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2007 1:22 PM, Michael Best <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> This is one of the few lists where I get spam in my gmail account at
>> all.  I don't know why that is, it almost feels like there is no
>> filtering on the list by Google at all.
>
> I'm subscribed to a number of Google Groups-based lists, and I've seen
> spam make it to every single one of them, so django-users is not
> unique in that regard. It is a fairly high-traffic list with a large
> number of subscribers, which I imagine makes it a more tempting target
> for a spammer, but I've seen identical spam messages make it onto the
> lists for other popular frameworks and for popular JavaScript toolkits
> which use Google Groups as well.

After reviewing a few of them, they all appear to have computer
generated gmail.com addresses, I wouldn't be surprised if email from
within the gmail domain is less scrutinized than email originating
remotely.  Or that email going into google groups is not filtered and
then once it originates from the group servers it's given a pass by some
of the filtering.

I'd be surprised if I haven't gotten more than a hundred spam from this
list alone.

-Mike