> Should I use trunk for development? Or is there any branch
> better for development? (with regard to the introduction of
> newforms)

I think the general rule of thumb is:

If you absolutely must have a stable API, and don't need anything
more than what 0.96 offers (lots of new features and
functionality have been added since then), use 0.96

Otherwise, use trunk.

This does mean accomodating the occasional change that breaks
backwards compatibility as documented here [1] but trunk is
production-worthy most of the time (just be sure to test and
track the below URL to make sure your code doesn't break between
versions of Django).  However, using trunk also allows access to
the latest and greatest features too.

-tim

[1]
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/BackwardsIncompatibleChanges