> Unfortunately I don't think they solve my problem here - the rest of
> the page needs to be dynamic and driven by custom content; it's only a
> subset of the page elements that I want to be static in this way. I
> suppose what I'm looking for is a kind of properties section for the
> site. It might not exist in Django of course - typically I would
> imagine this kind of thing would exist in the template. Unfortunately
> the site needs to be managed by a non technical user so they wont be
> up to editing templates.

I'm working on an app[1] that might help you out. It's basically a way
to easily create a site with modules, similar to how Google's homepage
works, but your apps would provide the modules for the site. You'd be
able to let users add/remove/customize some modules, while others
would always be there, regardless of the current user's preferences.
They'd even show up for users who aren't logged in.

I'm still doing a lot of work on it at the moment, though, so I don't
expect it to do everything you're looking for until sometime in the
next couple weeks. It currently works to an extent, but it's fairly
primitive, doesn't have all the options it needs, and has no
documentation. If it sounds like what you need, though, I'll keep you
posted on my progress.

-Gul

[1] http://code.google.com/p/django-modular/