On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 16:51 -0800, sime wrote:
> Now I expect this again is going to be defended religiously; but the
> fact that 500's don't run context processors, to me, serves as a nice
> little reminder that {% media_url %} or similar needs to be a core
> template tag. Where is the sense in bothering with a custom 500 if you
> can't conveniently use css, images, etc?

At the point you need a 500 page, things have completely and utterly
failed. It's called an "internal server error" for a reason. You need to
do the minimum possible and get out of there, because the code's in an
unstable state. Running more code is definitely not what the doctor
ordered there, and that includes running arbitrary template tags.

The point, since you asked, of having a custom 500 page is so that you
can display minimal related information that the user can report so you
can investigate via your logs and other external problem recording
mechanisms. there's no way a one-size-fits-all page could possibly meet
requirements there. The range obviously doesn't go immediately from
"everybody gets the same page" to "you must be able to run all this
complex customisation stuff".

Fortunately, with Django being a fully nicely extensible framework, you
can happily change this if you really want to. Simply override the
handler class to do something different when it receives a 500 error.

Malcolm

--
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/