I've found that the only problems I encountered on my first couple of
Django projects were the following:

1. Unix problems due to not being very experienced with Unix shell
stuff.
2. Spending way too long trying to customize the admin because I
didn't realise how easy it would be to write my own CRUD using
newforms
3. Doing everything in a slightly roundabout way and then discovering
too late there was a much more elegant way to do it. Look at other
people's code as much as possible including the Django source. It's
much less scary than you would think.

A few other tips:
1. Learn to love the manage.py shell. A combination of that and the
lovely django traceback (hint - raise your own exceptions "raise:
Foo": and you can have a traceback whenever you want) have convered
all my debugging needs.

All my django projects have been finished much quicker than expected.
My second Django site was a paid gig and the client was very happy.

Good luck!