On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 08:16:17AM -0600, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote regarding
Re: Many to many column naming in 1.0?:

> On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 07:07 -0500, J. Clifford Dyer wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Does anyone know if there are plans to include this patch (or similar
> > functionality) in Django 1.0?
> >
> > http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/785
> >
> > It's a relatively simple change, breaking no backwards compatibility,
> > and it goes a long way to making it easier to integrate legacy DBs into
> > django projects.
>
> It's probably not unreasonable. The concept has always been sound; it's
> only the implementation that has needed a little work. Looking at the
> recent comments there, it's getting closer.
>
> Malcolm

<disclaimer>
Looking at that patch and the surrounding code is my first sally into the guts
of django, so I may not know what I'm talking about.
</disclaimer>

In addition to defining attributes db_self_column and db_related_column to
explicitly name the columns in a ManyToManyField table, would there need to be
a third attribute for explicitly naming the primary key column?

More generally, what needs to be done on the existing patch?  I may try to do
something with it during the sprint, if there's any way I could be helpful.

Cheers,
Cliff