Karen Tracey wrote:
> On 12/3/07, Robin Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> I have a simple model with a foreign key relation
>>
>> class A(models.Model):
>>       id = models.CharField('ABCDEFG', .....)
>

> Do you really have an explicit field named 'id'?  Do you also include
> primary_key=True over in that '....' part?  Otherwise it seems you'd get a
> conflict between your explicitly id field and Django's auto-generated one.

id has primary_key=True

> class B(models.Model):
>>       def __str__(self):
>>          return self.name
>>
>>      class Admin:
>>          list_display = ('name',)
>>          list_display_links = ('name',)
>>          ordering = ('a', 'name')
>>          search_fields = ('a__id','name')
>>
>>      a = models.ForeignKey(A, num_in_admin=3)
>>      name = models.CharField(maxlength=255, core=True )

> the 'a__id' syntax is correct.  I don't quite understand what "seems to
> locate some rows, but the listing page doesn't display." means.  How can you
> tell what it found if the listing page doesn't display?  What displays
> instead of the listing page -- an error, a blank page, a
> never-finishes-loading page...?

Well I see the search box, and when I enter the id of a known A and hit the go
button The page that returns has

"23 results (6380 total)" beside the go button and in the body of the page I see

23 as

however there's no other text in the page. I expected to see the rows that were
found.

After testing with different data I believe it's just one of my data rows
that's
vanishing.

> For a simple example from my own models that works for me, I have (from a
> legacy database so the names don't quite match what you'd expect for a
> Django app):

> Karen

Robin Becker