Apache generally runs as a special user. This user must have read
access to those Django modules you have symlinked into the Python site-
packages directory. Thus if the files are not readable to others, or
any of the directories from the root right down to where the Django
software is actually installed are not readable/searchable to others,
then Python running under Apache will fail in being able to import the
modules.

Graham