The only obvious thing then is too make sure that all directories from
root down to the egg cache directory are actually readable/searchable
to others. If a parent directory is not readable/searchable ie., o+rx,
then Apache will not be able to search in there, even if the egg cache
directory has user/group ownership that would allow it to write to it.

Maybe for sanity check, post output of:

  ls -lasd /opt/django/eggdump/
  ls -lasd /opt/django/
  ls -lasd /opt/

Also indicate what User/Group directives in Apache configuration are
set to.

Graham