You might take a look at my writeup on dynamic models,[1] which
specifically covers a way to specify Django models in a database,
which can be changed at run-time. However, I haven't looked at what it
would take to actually commit changes to the already-synced tables. I
have a feeling Django Evolution[2] will help with this, but I haven't
done any testing with it yet.

-Gul

[1] http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/DynamicModels
[2] http://code.google.com/p/django-evolution/