Hi Michael,

> I've been wanting to get into Python, thinking it could be good for
> certain interactivity which I haven't implemented really in my sites,
> DB access, forms.

Indeed, Python in general and Django in particular are quite good for
these sorts of features.

> But I have a site design to do where the company rents corporate short-
> term housing.  I want to create about 10 pages, a few of them
> editable, and maybe explore doing a properties database and multiple
> contact forms.
>
> Am I crazy to be thinking about using Django for this at my skill
> level?  I installed Plone locally to play around, seems good, but
> maybe too much overhead.

Crazy?  Not at all.  This project sounds like a very good way to get
started learning Python and Django.  The caveat, though, is your time
frame.  If your client needs this site up and running *now*, or within
a short time-frame, this might not be the best time to start learning
both a new language and a new web framework.  On the other hand, if
you are a self-starter and intellectually curious, there's nothing
like a deadline for providing motivation.

> If I want to use Django, do I have to some up with some kind of
> database setup to list properties with a picture?

The short answer is yes.  The longer answer is, strictly speaking, I
imagine it's possible to use Django without a database, but doing so
would be going against the intent of the framework.

> Where might I begin
> to do this for the first time?

This depends very much on your hosting setup.  I'll leave to others a
discussion of the relative merits of various hosting companies, and
you
 will find much discussion on that very topic in the list archives.
In general, though, Python 2.5 comes with bindings for sqlite and the
sqlite engine -- "batteries included" and all that -- which, for
exploration and learning purposes, should be enough to start.  I would
strongly recommend *against* using sqlite as your production database,
though.

> Will I be able to quickly make the main HTML page template and add
> content to it, or is that not how this works?

Yes, that is exactly how it works.  You can set up a site-specific
template, and create pages that pull in that template.  The template
documentation is here:
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/templates/

I'd also suggest you work your way through the tutorial, as it covers
the basic aspects of building a Django-powered site.

---Peter