> Seems dumpdata is coded to require a Manager named 'objects' for the Models
> it dumps, even though (as described here:
> http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/model-api/#manager-names), Django
> does not require that a Manager named objects exists for all Models.
> Whether this is just an oversight in dumpdata or a conscious decision I
> can't say, though it looks like an oversight to me.

You're correct Karen.  This bit of code is the culprit:

        objects = []
        for app in app_list:
            for model in get_models(app):
                objects.extend(model.objects.all())

How would you propose that it be done differently?  I know that
through object._meta.admin.manager will give you the first manager
like the Admin works off of, but that is only populated if the Admin
inner class is defined.  I looked for the logic that does that but I
couldn't find it.

Michael Trier
blog.michaeltrier.com