A little over a year ago, I was in your shoes. Microsoft just didn't
do it for me anymore, and I wasn't sure where to turn. A lot of people
here are recommending Ubuntu, but as an individual that was not too
long ago in your situation, and has quickly developed a decent
knowledge of Linux server administration, believe me when I say that
Ubuntu is the greatest distribution for a newbie.

First, the way packages are managed is so simple. Setting up a LAMP
server with Django will probably take you less than an hour.
Second, the online documentation is very thorough and easy to follow.
No matter what package you need to install, you will be able to find
simple, step by step instructions on how to configure it.
Third, a new book is coming out on Ubuntu Server Administration which
will work as an excellent compliment to the Django Book regarding the
administration of your server:
http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Ubuntu-Server-Administration-Professional/dp/1590599233/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197312353&sr=8-1

If you are interested, check out the following article. It is related
to setting up a Django/Ubuntu server on Slicehost, but really helped
me along when I was setting up my own box. I guarantee you it will
save you gobs of time.

http://www.inerciasensorial.com.br/2006/11/22/perils-of-software-development/django-on-slicehost-virtual-private-server/

I hope this info is helpful to you.