Hi again,

> 3. I'm using prefork MPM on apache with maxclients set to 1000.

Apart from Joe's excellent profiling suggestion, I would recommend
reducing maxclients to a much lower value (like say 100) and then
increasing it gradually.

>From your description of the sluggish response of your web server, it
looks like the machine may be swapping to disk. Each of your clients
fires up a Python VM taking up several tens of MB of RAM. Even if each
VM takes up just 20MB (it's probably more than that), a thousand
clients will eat up 20GB, forcing your machine to swap.

-Rajesh