Hello,
If you want to get started with django, follow the tutorial "Writing
your first Django app" located at
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation Django includes a built in
development server. It makes it so you can pretty much start using
django right away, and you can worry about mod_python later. It helps
streamline the development a little, because with mod_python you need to
restart apache each time you make a change. The development server
reloads the models automatically, making it a very nice way to do things.
I'm not familiar with the 'xampp' thing. It looks like you are trying to
install mod_python as distributed by xampp. I just installed mod_python
onto my linux server, and followed the vanilla mod_python docs. You
might find better luck on a forum or mailing list specific to xampp for
that issue.

Good luck!

Jeff Anderson