Dear Django experts,

I am a python programmer with about 1.5 years part-time python
experience and some web site building experience. I am about to take a
project of building a seminar registration site for a client.

I have already decided I want to handle that project in python, but I
have a hard time deciding which framework to use. Django, Pylons and
Turbogears all seem reasonable candidates. I like Django for its
active community and development and the somewhat more coherent
framework (it seems to me), Turbogears for its widgets, and about
Pylons I havent't read/dabbed enough yet.

I heard that most things work great out of the box with Django, but
beware if they dont! Also, Django seems to be geared more towards
publishing by one or a few users, while my task will be more about
many users managing their own resources. (see below)
With Turbogears I haven't gotten many examples work out right away,
and with neither I have been able to quickly have a authorized-access
based web site up. I haven't tried for more than 1-2 hour per
framework  though. Pylons I havent really tried enough (and was a
little discouraged to hear it might get overridden a lot with the
merge into TG).

I am now looking for help in choosing a framework and estimating the
effort it takes to build the app. The project will have to be done in
under 3 weeks, so I can't really afford to run into dead ends and
restart with a different framework. :-/

The main functions of project will be:

 - let users register (with or without email verification)

 ONLY AFTER registration

 - let users select from a list of seminar dates
 - register for a seminar (probably only 1 per user)
 - unregister from seminars until seimnar_start_date-X days
 - manage their data
 - get an e-mail X days before the seminar (probably cron job)

 have an admin (the seminar speaker) be able to

 - CRUD seminar dates
 - generate participant lists
 - print invoices

There will be some restraints like minimum number of participants for
a seminar for it to take place, probably batches of seminars (2 or 3
per day) that will get canceled if one of the gets canceled. I think
that should be relatively painless with some python functionality.

The main questions I have right now are:

Do you think Django could handle the task easily or do you think
something else would be better? What do you think will be the hardest
part to implement? And how many hours/days/weeks would you think it
takes a new user like me to get the thing up? Ideally I would have a
showcase demo with limited functionality up in 6 or 7 days (of which I
can spend maybe 4 hours each day on it).
Do you think that s possible?

Very much looking forward to any hints, pointers and comments,

    Nico Richter

(P.S. I will post this to the Django, Pylons and Turbogears groups, so
please forgive me if you get this more than once. If you are in
several of these groups, YOU are the guy I wish I would get a reply
from ;-)) )