Using the newforms-admin branch, you there are queryset hooks to aid
in this.  Not tested, but you should be able to do something like this
in your model's admin class:

class SomethingModelAdmin(admin.ModelAdmin):
    def queryset_change(self, request):
        return super(SomethingModelAdmin,
self).queryset_change(request).sort_by( [ your sort conditions ]

Dan